Digital Cutter Operator- (Smart Stacker)
|Employee Classification||Regular Full Time- Afternoons|
The Digital Cutter (Smart Stacker) Operator is responsible for completing all cutting and trimming operations for press and digital-press in compliance with job specifications and company quality standards. The Operator performs daily/weekly/monthly maintenance on all cutting equipment to ensure optimum output. The Cutter Operator works closely with other production staff members to finish any cutting specifications listed on the project.
Responsibilities and Duties:
As a Digital Cutter Operator and a member of the Production Team the accountabilities are as followed:
- Read and understand the job ticket and other specification on an assigned job and communicate these job requirements and potential problems to finishing to Production Managers and Bindery staff involved in the process.
- Understand the standards as explained on the job ticket and work toward achieving the goal on deadline.
- Analyze and define the dimensions of work to be cut and decide the best method of tackling each cutting job. Act as a resources to other departments and production staff.
- Perform all cutting functions including set up and operation of the cutter with an electronic eye to control timing of cutting blades on the designated cutting spot.
- Thread ends of material through feed rollers, and align material against machine guides. Perform visual inspection of cut material for defects. Run samples to verify size and ensure the product is straight and any image area is lined up properly.
- Adjust machine settings when necessary. Constantly monitor the quality of the product. Detect malfunctions like jamming, wrinkling or tearing of material and stop machine to make adjustments.
- Sort rejects and keep individual work station clean and free of hazards.
- Load cut product on to the proper skids to move on to the next production work area for finishing.
- Trouble-shoot and correct problems with equipment or material. Replace worn cutting blades, using hand tools.
- Understand the safety procedures regarding the operation and maintenance of the equipment and follow the Company safety policies.
- Operate other finishing equipment as required based on experience and production needs.
- Clean and maintain equipment and the work area during the shift or following maintenance of equipment.
- Inform Manager of any equipment or supply issues.
General and Administration
- Coordinate with Production Team to assist in producing the cutting requirements for jobs and, when necessary, help reorganize work to meet deadline changes and updates.
- Communicate effectively with Production Managers, and members of the production team, informing and updating them regularly.
- Follow systems and procedures outlined by the Company.
- Comply with policies and safety including all OHSA safety requirements.
Equipment and Supplies
- Clean and maintain equipment and work area following maintenance procedures, and update maintenance logs. Ensure work area is tidy and free of hazards.
- Monitor and manage inventory of design and graphics supplies; order and stock supplies as assigned.
- Understand and perform all troubleshooting procedures on the HP/Indigo Digital Press.
- Inform supervisor of equipment problems and coordinate with vendor for repair of equipment as needed.
- Performs routine computer maintenance, including software updates and utility programs.
- High school diploma or vocational/technical certificate.
- Previous experience working in a Bindery area operating machines.
- Working knowledge of set up, adjustment, procedures, capabilities and limitations of equipment used to cut printed material to complete finished products.
- Familiarity with different paper weights, sizes, types and colours to identify paper conditions (ie. Excessive moisture or curling that may require special adjustments.)
- Able to perform math measurements (decimals, metric units) and the ability to read and interpret written work orders.
- Mechanical background and skill making adjustments to powered machines using hand tools.
- High degree of accuracy and consistency.
- Exceptional dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Able to consistently follow instructions to ensure the task is done to job specifications.
- Able to reason and identify issues, troubleshoot problems and ask appropriate questions to make sure the job is dimensionally accurate according to specifications.
- Reliable attendance, punctuality and able to effectively work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent focus and attention to detail.
- Work is performed primarily in a plant environment.
- Standing for prolonged periods of time- up to 8 hours or more per day.
- Constantly use the upper body, arms, hands and fingers to perform repetitive functions. This position requires pushing and/or pulling product, repeatedly bending over to pick up or pack stacks of product, and loading skids.
- Frequent lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Work area has fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. Temperature is standard no major fluctuations.
- Exposure to ink and chemical fumes, and airborne particles such as paper dust and drying powder.
- Noise level is usually moderate to loud. Hearing protection is required.
- Some overtime work may be required.
- Fast-paced environment subject to numerous schedule and priority changes and short notice activity.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. You will be expected to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested by your leader.
How to Apply:
If you are interesting in applying please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org